Sidmouth Running Club juniors do well at School’s cross country championships
- Credit: Archant
This week it was the turn of the juniors from Sidmouth Running Club to shine, writes Terry Bewes.
Kate Marriott, Jo Ashby, Molly and Toby Garrick all donned their off road shoes and headed for the first round of the East Devon Schools Championships at Bicton College.
This is always a fiercely contested event amongst the local schools and this year was no exception.
The first 20 from each age group qualify to go to the East Devon verses Exeter event in Okehampton. Conditions were ideal, dry underfoot, sunny and warm.
Jo Ashby, from year eight, competing against both year eight and year nine students, did well in the school group, but just missed out qualifying, coming in 22nd.
You may also want to watch:
With all the training he is putting in at the club and the fact he will be a year older all looks positive for next year.
Molly Garrick, another currently in year eight, also had a good run in the school group, but also missed out on qualifying coming 27th.
- 1 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 2 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 3 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 4 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 5 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
- 6 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 7 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 8 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 9 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 10 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year
Two of our most experienced and competitive runners did however qualify in style, Katie Marriott running in year 10-11 came second in the girls race and Toby Garrick, year 10-11, came third in the boys event and both will now step forward to represent East Devon.