Sidmouth Running Club juniors do well at School’s cross country championships
- Credit: Archant
This week it was the turn of the juniors from Sidmouth Running Club to shine, writes Terry Bewes.
Kate Marriott, Jo Ashby, Molly and Toby Garrick all donned their off road shoes and headed for the first round of the East Devon Schools Championships at Bicton College.
This is always a fiercely contested event amongst the local schools and this year was no exception.
The first 20 from each age group qualify to go to the East Devon verses Exeter event in Okehampton. Conditions were ideal, dry underfoot, sunny and warm.
Jo Ashby, from year eight, competing against both year eight and year nine students, did well in the school group, but just missed out qualifying, coming in 22nd.
You may also want to watch:
With all the training he is putting in at the club and the fact he will be a year older all looks positive for next year.
Molly Garrick, another currently in year eight, also had a good run in the school group, but also missed out on qualifying coming 27th.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 3 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 4 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 5 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 6 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
Two of our most experienced and competitive runners did however qualify in style, Katie Marriott running in year 10-11 came second in the girls race and Toby Garrick, year 10-11, came third in the boys event and both will now step forward to represent East Devon.