Sidmouth Running Club latest – one-way ticket to Exmouth and a run, jog or walk back to Sidmouth
- Credit: Archant
The annual coach trip to Exmouth on the third Sunday of December included 27 Sidmouth Running Club (SRC) members and four dogs, writes Hamish Spence.
The coach made a stop at Budleigh for Christie Ward, Julia Haddrell, Alexa Baker and a few other members to make their way back along nine miles of the coastal path.
Then, Janice Long, Greg Ward, John Sharples, Peter Bishop and a whippet were dropped off at the Exmouth Lifeboat Station for a longer 11-mile jaunt back.
The final drop-off point was at Exmouth Rugby Club, giving a 14-mile trek back to Sidmouth.
On disembarking the coach, Tim Mitchell and Richard Summerhayes shot off, leaving The Rusty Runners (Terry’s words not mine) Monica Read, Helen Palmer, Cathy Keast and Terry Bewes to their more leisurely paced jog back along the coastal path.
You may also want to watch:
There were some heavy showers, lots of mud to wade through and many hills to climb on what was a great day out.
? Sidmouth Running Club (SRC) is holding an improvers’ course in the new year.
- 1 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 2 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 3 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 4 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 5 Youngsters invited to join in Fairtrade Fortnight competition
- 6 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 7 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 8 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 9 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 10 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
It will be an eight-week programme for those who have run before but need an incentive to get going again, or solo runners who would like to progress with a group.
There are 20 places available at a cost of £25, which includes Club Membership for 2019, Corporate LED Membership and Public Liability Insurance.
Having run on and off for years myself, but always on my own, I realised that a pattern of stop/start had taken a hold on my running! So, having asked myself why was it like this, I came to the conclusion that an element of being a permanent lone runner had taken the fun away!
Also, let’s face it, it’s tough running alone. Running with others helped, especially when the aches and pains or huffs and puffs kicked in.
Chatting with a friend while jogging soon distracts the mind and before you know it you’re back up to those longer distances, and even really enjoying the odd distance run on your own again. SRC is a great club to be a member of, with something on offer for everyone.
It is a very supportive and social club and I am very glad I joined four years ago.
For more info, have a look at the website www.sidmouthrunningclub.co.uk or contact Terry on 07734 581782 or Email: email@example.com