Sidmouth Running Club makes donation to South West Coast Path Association
- Credit: Archant
The Sidmouth Running Club has generously donated £250 to the South West Coast Path Association to recognise the work the charity does in keeping their favourite running routes open, accessible, safe and in good condition, writes Tim Clay.
The club, which welcomes runners of all abilities and boasts approximately 120 members ranging from 17 to 70 years old, decided to donate the money from their ‘Exe to the Axe’ race takings.
Terry Bewes, Sidmouth Running Club chairman, says: “Whilst we may tire running up and down the steep local hills, we never tire of the beautiful views our coast path provides.
“We wanted to donate this money to recognise the efforts of everyone at the association who works to keep the path open for everyone to enjoy.
With regular organised meet-ups on Mondays and Wednesdays in spring and summer on the coast path, the club takes full advantage of its unique views and elevation to motivate runners and improve their core strength and endurance.”
You may also want to watch:
Trustee for the South West Coast Path Association, Keith Wainwright met with the club on the coast path to receive the donation. Keith says: “We are very grateful to the Sidmouth Running Club for this donation. Whilst the coast path is free for everyone to use, it costs at least £1,000 per year for every mile of the 630-mile path to keep it open, safe and clearly signed. Coastal running is a great way to get out and explore, but it also improves physical and mental wellbeing – and clubs like this are also a great way to socialise. We’d love to have more clubs showing their support for the path in this way.”
If you would like to donate or become a member of the association, please visit https://www.southwestcoastpath.org.uk/love-the-coast-path
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 6 Run for donkeys in the world’s biggest marathon
- 7 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 8 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 9 East Devon's new homes debate divides residents' opinions
- 10 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
You can join the Sidmouth Running Club for evening runs between two and six miles or sign up to one or two events they organise on the coast path during the year. The Exe to Axe, which takes place during April, is a 22-mile course with a 4,000 ft assent from Exmouth to Seaton. ‘The 4 Trigs’, which takes place in February, is a tough 20-mile run taking place in and around Sidmouth.