Sidmouth Running Club plays host to 2018 Woodland Relays
- Credit: Archant
A sunny summer evening welcomed runners from local clubs for the annual invitation event, the Woodland Relays, which was hosted this year by Sidmouth Running Club on Salcombe Hill on a balmy June evening, writes Monica Read.
Having initially expected 30 teams to attend, the club was delighted with the turnout of 63 teams of three people from local running clubs such as Axe Valley, Honiton and Exmouth, as well as teams from the Met Office, Dukes, Cranbrook Scouts and many others.
All ages and abilities were catered for with Under-11 teams such as ‘The Young Coyotes’ and ‘Cos Girls Can Run’ competing over the short course, whilst the aptly named ‘210 Years and Counting’ team from Sidmouth Running Club took on the long course.
Sidmouth Running Club chairman Terry Bewes thanked the many club members involved in organising and supporting the event.
Many members ran for their club, including some from this year’s beginners’ group, and we were delighted with Toby Garrick, who was the fastest senior male over the long course.
You may also want to watch:
But a huge ‘well done’ also needs to go to all the helpers, from those that set out the course, to the marshals, the timer and number recorder, water providers, photographer, first aid support and most popular, the catering crew who rose to the occasion and provided an awesome array of cakes and bakes.
Results can be found at www.sidmouthrunningclub.co.uk
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 4 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 5 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 6 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 7 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 8 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Sidmouth Girls Rugby