Sidmouth Running Club - The Mighty Green – above and beyond guardian angels.
- Credit: Archant
Back in the summer, during one of our regular club-night evening runs on Woodbury Common, one of our Sidmouth Running Club (SRC) groups came upon a group of walkers, writes Hamish Spence.
It had been a very hot day and resulted in one of the walkers being taken ill. SRC group leader Kerry Boyle stepped in to assist and had it not been for her swift actions and intervention the outcome would have been very different. Subsequently, at the recent SRC Awards Night, Kerry was presented with the SRC Mighty Green Guardian Angel honour. Danny Painter was also present that evening and had stepped up. With his knowledge of the Common, he mustered up the strength and ran, carrying the young person, a mile uphill to the Castle car park where a waiting ambulance met him and took over in the care of the patient.
Danny was awarded the SRC Mighty Green Above And Beyond.
His huge effort undoubtedly saved the ambulance crew precious time locating the patient and meant she could receive the care she needed quickly.
? Sidmouth Running Club’s David Skinner tried a different parkrun last weekend, taking part in the Haldon Forest Parkrun.
You may also want to watch:
This was his 99th parkrun and he completed it in a time of 34:36, finishing 136th out of the 168 that took part.
Speaking after the run, David said: “You get lulled into a false sense of security by the gentle start and then the narrow steep climb hits you! On the second lap you think, oh good, we don’t do that climb this time round, only to be met with a different steep climb!”
- 1 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 2 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 3 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 8 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 9 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 10 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
We look forward to reporting on his 100th parkrun!