Sidmouth Running Club time handicap trial news - Mother and daughter home close to target time
The Sidmouth Running Club time handicap trials last week produced some interesting results, writes John Perratt.
Mother and daughter pairing Sarah and Alyssa Powell, running the short course for the first time, were close to spot on their targeted time with Jed Robson a few seconds behind them, the idea being that if everyone ran according to their handicap they would all finish together.
Ahead of them were Tom and Linda Perry who both improved dramatically on their times last month and Joe Ashby who ran his heart out, having started a very long way behind them. Sam Pugh and the rest of the Perry’s completed the short course field.
On the longer four-mile route, Colin Bentley made his debut in winning style nearly two minutes ahead of the next closely bunched group that included two outstanding runs. Jason Drew still in record breaking mode clocked up a new best time of 20.09. Justin Ashby though, who was the last starter before Jason, was determined not to be overtaken and succeeded with a Personal Best time of 21.25. It took him some time to get his breath back at the end but, taking the age differential into consideration, it was very much a comparable run.
A total of 33 runners (some old, some new) took part in the two trials and each of them has their own target for the next one. Newcomers will have to be given a random handicap but are nevertheless very welcome.
You may also want to watch:
Over the weekend, the Club as usual was very much involved with the Sid Vale Sports Day and Fete held in glorious weather and the help of club members in staging the running events contributed greatly to the success of this annual event.
- 1 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 2 Lacemaking mum's labour of love for daughter's wedding
- 3 Sidmouth Toy & Model Museum is a hit with Toto
- 4 Sidmouth supermarket helps out children living in poverty
- 5 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 6 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 7 Cricket ground will be transformed into festival car park
- 8 Top books to inspire children to love nature this summer
- 9 Property of Week: North Street, Ottery St Mary
- 10 Beachgoers share moment of wonder