Sidmouth Running Club trio run superbly in South West cross-county championships
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Running Club members Kirsteen Welch, Kate Marriott and Toby Garrick competed in the South West Cross Country Championships near Yeovil on the first Sunday of January, writes Hamish Spence.
Kirsteen Welch had a fantastic race, running at an average pace of 6.05 minute miles.
She took this championship by the scruff and went for it, gaining a podium finish on two accounts.
She was the third (bronze) senior woman and first Devon lady (gold for the county). Watch this space, as she will be heading for the nationals very soon.
Wearing his Mighty Green (MG) shirt and running with the Devon team was Toby Garrick.
You may also want to watch:
The conditions were good underfoot for the 5.6-mile route; however, there were some deceptively steep hills.
Toby did very well, coming 21st out of 165 (which included senior men) and in sixth position in the U20. Toby has been training very hard, so he was happy with his performance (averaging a 5.38 min/mile).
- 1 Safety, security and sustainability at Sidmouth Town
- 2 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 3 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
- 4 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 5 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 6 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 7 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 8 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 9 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 10 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
Also, he was thrilled to be on the podium with the Devon team, which came second overall. He is now looking forward to taking part in the nationals again.
Kate Marriott, who took part with the Devon team, came in 49th overall and will also be taking part in the nationals.