Sidmouth Running Club trio run superbly in South West cross-county championships
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Running Club members Kirsteen Welch, Kate Marriott and Toby Garrick competed in the South West Cross Country Championships near Yeovil on the first Sunday of January, writes Hamish Spence.
Kirsteen Welch had a fantastic race, running at an average pace of 6.05 minute miles.
She took this championship by the scruff and went for it, gaining a podium finish on two accounts.
She was the third (bronze) senior woman and first Devon lady (gold for the county). Watch this space, as she will be heading for the nationals very soon.
Wearing his Mighty Green (MG) shirt and running with the Devon team was Toby Garrick.
You may also want to watch:
The conditions were good underfoot for the 5.6-mile route; however, there were some deceptively steep hills.
Toby did very well, coming 21st out of 165 (which included senior men) and in sixth position in the U20. Toby has been training very hard, so he was happy with his performance (averaging a 5.38 min/mile).
- 1 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 4 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 5 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 6 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 7 Sidmouth Rugby Club’s Devon success stories
- 8 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 9 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 10 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
Also, he was thrilled to be on the podium with the Devon team, which came second overall. He is now looking forward to taking part in the nationals again.
Kate Marriott, who took part with the Devon team, came in 49th overall and will also be taking part in the nationals.