Sidmouth Running Club trio run superbly in South West cross-county championships
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Running Club members Kirsteen Welch, Kate Marriott and Toby Garrick competed in the South West Cross Country Championships near Yeovil on the first Sunday of January, writes Hamish Spence.
Kirsteen Welch had a fantastic race, running at an average pace of 6.05 minute miles.
She took this championship by the scruff and went for it, gaining a podium finish on two accounts.
She was the third (bronze) senior woman and first Devon lady (gold for the county). Watch this space, as she will be heading for the nationals very soon.
Wearing his Mighty Green (MG) shirt and running with the Devon team was Toby Garrick.
You may also want to watch:
The conditions were good underfoot for the 5.6-mile route; however, there were some deceptively steep hills.
Toby did very well, coming 21st out of 165 (which included senior men) and in sixth position in the U20. Toby has been training very hard, so he was happy with his performance (averaging a 5.38 min/mile).
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 4 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 5 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 6 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 A couple of new starts for Ottery Bowling Club
- 10 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
Also, he was thrilled to be on the podium with the Devon team, which came second overall. He is now looking forward to taking part in the nationals again.
Kate Marriott, who took part with the Devon team, came in 49th overall and will also be taking part in the nationals.