Sidmouth’s bowls season well under way
Sidmouth’s match with Seaton was reduced from home and away fixtures to a four rink mixed match at home, due to difficulties for Seaton raising enough players, writes Ron Cook.
The players Seaton did bring played very well in breezy but dry conditions, edging Sidmouth by 91 to 83. Best rink for Sidmouth was Ivan Robins, Sylvia Cook, Zena Johnson and skip Mike Borst with a score of 29-18.
Sidmouth played their first away match at Topsham who won four out of six rinks finishing with a score of 138-102. Best rink for Sidmouth was Frank Adlam, Des Bridgeman, Shirley Rose and skip Mary Smith with a score of 28-12
The next visitors Severn Vale, who were staying in Exmouth, took a detour to avoid the narrow lanes of Budleigh and caught heavy traffic for the Devon County Show, eventually arriving half an hour late. In spite of winning six out of nine rinks, Sidmouth lost the match overall by a margin of four shots, 167- 171, a quite remarkable result.
The season is well under way with national and county matches causing a heavy demand on players. Play in the second week of the over-60s League were cancelled due to bad weather.
You may also want to watch:
In last week’s matches there were wins for both the B and C squads, each taking six points. The A squad lost on both rinks to Heavitree A playing at home.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 4 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 7 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 10 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles