Sidmouth’s Danny Painter completes Dartmoor Uotra
- Credit: Archant
Another week and another marathon, only this time it was an Ultra, writes Terry Bewes.
Danny Painter headed off to compete in the Dartmoor Discovery.
The race organised by Teignbridge Trotters RC starts and finishes in Princetown the home of Dartmoor Prison.
This is entirely an on-road race over 32 miles 674 yards with plenty of hills taking in Dartmeet, Poundsgate, Newbridge, Ashburton, Buckland in the Moor, Widecombe in the Moor and Postbridge before heading back to the start.
This was the sixth time Danny had run this race and it was not to be his best.
You may also want to watch:
The wheels came off for him at around mile 14 when he suffered leg spasm cramps till the finish.
This left him with a decision, drop out or man up and carry on, for Danny the first was not an option so on he went to finish in 109th place in a time of 5:37:16 (17th in 4:32:42 last year).
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 6 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 7 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 8 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
He did however, take from this experience as it reminded him that every race can’t be a blinder, just be happy with your best effort.
He will be back next year you can bet on it. There were 192 finishers.