Sidmouth’s home federation victory
The Sidmouth Golf Croquet team continued their run of wins with a resounding victory at home against a team from Cornwall Croquet Club (Porthpean) in the South West Federation League, writes Colin Walls.
In all, Sidmouth won 14 games to Porthpean, three games with three drawn. Porthpean, playing with only four players, showed remarkable stamina during the 20 games against the larger Sidmouth team.
There were particularly good performances for Sidmouth by Keith Thorley, Ian Simpson, Margaret Piper and Marian Harris.
Result: Sidmouth 15�, Porthpean 4�.
?On a cold and windy day Sidmouth played an Association Croquet B League match at home against local rivals Budleigh Salterton.
You may also want to watch:
The team of Marian Harris (captain), Muriel Philpott, Richard Thurlow and John Coombes played one doubles and six singles games.
In the morning, Sidmouth struggled in all three games, losing the doubles and one singles, but Richard Thurlow managed to just win his singles on the Golden Hoop in a close, hard-fought game.
- 1 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 2 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 3 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 4 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 5 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Local storyteller looks to folklore for reminders that every action has consequences
- 9 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 10 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
Thurlow continued to play consistently well and won his second singles game in the afternoon, with wins also for Muriel Philpott and John Coombes in their singles.
Despite threatening skies after lunch, the rain stayed away and a dry day of croquet was enjoyed by all, with Sidmouth winning 4-3.