Sidmouth’s home federation victory
The Sidmouth Golf Croquet team continued their run of wins with a resounding victory at home against a team from Cornwall Croquet Club (Porthpean) in the South West Federation League, writes Colin Walls.
In all, Sidmouth won 14 games to Porthpean, three games with three drawn. Porthpean, playing with only four players, showed remarkable stamina during the 20 games against the larger Sidmouth team.
There were particularly good performances for Sidmouth by Keith Thorley, Ian Simpson, Margaret Piper and Marian Harris.
Result: Sidmouth 15�, Porthpean 4�.
?On a cold and windy day Sidmouth played an Association Croquet B League match at home against local rivals Budleigh Salterton.
You may also want to watch:
The team of Marian Harris (captain), Muriel Philpott, Richard Thurlow and John Coombes played one doubles and six singles games.
In the morning, Sidmouth struggled in all three games, losing the doubles and one singles, but Richard Thurlow managed to just win his singles on the Golden Hoop in a close, hard-fought game.
- 1 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 4 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone
- 5 Dragon Patchers will continue to keep Devon's potholes filled
- 6 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 7 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
- 8 Ottery St Mary sadly lose a club legend
- 9 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 10 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
Thurlow continued to play consistently well and won his second singles game in the afternoon, with wins also for Muriel Philpott and John Coombes in their singles.
Despite threatening skies after lunch, the rain stayed away and a dry day of croquet was enjoyed by all, with Sidmouth winning 4-3.