Sidmouth’s Josh Bess called up for Devon’s ‘crunch’ meeting with Cornwall
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Luke Bess has been called into the Devon side for the crunch game with Cornwall starting at Exeter on Sunday (10.30am).
Bess gets the nod as a batting replacement for brother Zac, who has to work during the game and is unable to get time off.
Sidmouth team-mate and Devon captain Alex Barrow has been pencilled into the side, but won't be able to play unless he can get time off work from his sports coaching job in Taunton.
If Barrow cannot play the likelihood is that match professional Peter Trego, who is dual registered with Devon and Somerset this season, will skipper the side.
Devon go into the game sixth in the Western Division table and in need of a win to climb into the top five. They trail Wiltshire by a point.
You may also want to watch:
The significance of finishing in the top five is qualification for the new Western Division One in a new-look competition with promotion and relegation from 2020 onwards.
Devon's team management is anxious to avoid a place in Division Two.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
Devon (probable): A W R Barrow (Sidmouth), D J Goodey (Plymouth), P D Trego (Weston), J E Burke (Plymouth), M W Thompson (St Fagans), M Pugh (Torquay), M P Skeemer (Cornwood), H M Whitlock, T J R Codd (both Bovey Tracey), E W O Middleton (Exeter), L F O Bess (Sidmouth).