Sidmouth’s Painter powers into Devon County bowls finals
Sidmouth Bowls Club ladies celebrated in sunshine with their teammate - Jane Painter - at Paignton Bowls Club last Wednesday (August 20), writes Susie Bonnell.
Nine Sidmouth ladies were present to take in a couple of incredibly nail-biting and skilful matches.
All were thrilled to be able to watch Jane, representing Devon County Section Three in the Ladies Unbadged Singles, win her quarter-final in the morning against Chris Marshall from Crediton (Section Four).
Play started at midday and lasted two and a quarter hours, but with only 20 minutes respite, the semi-final commenced.
Jane’s opponent was Pat Simmons of Shaldon (Section Five) and it was a battle from the very first end with both players giving a superb performance. Right up to the very last end it could have gone to either opponent, but with Jane’s final wood on the 24th end, she clinched the two points needed to take her to the 21 points target and thus secured her rightful place in the Devon County finals.
You may also want to watch:
Well done, Jane - your supporters were exhausted just watching - can’t wait to cheer you on in the final against Angie Hall of Section Two at Newton Abbot early next month (date to be confirmed).
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 6 Run for donkeys in the world’s biggest marathon
- 7 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 8 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 9 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 10 Festival will bring a much-needed boost to the town