Sidmouth’s Toby Garrick wins Devon Schools cross-country title
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Running Club member Toby Garrick took part in the Devon Schools Cross Country Championships at the Stover School, writes Hamish Spence.
Toby, competing in the senior boys category, finished first in a race that was 6.4km in distance.
Toby had an average pace of 5:28-minute miles and finished in the fast time of 21:44.
Indeed, he was a full two minutes faster than he had completed the same event in 12 months before!
Such was his dominance of the race that he crossed the finish line a full 120 metres ahead of the second runner home!
You may also want to watch:
Toby had decided to try a new racing strategy of leading from the front. This new tactic kept him clear of the pack for two out of the three long laps.
His next race will be the South West Schools Championships, which take place in Bath on the first Saturday of February.
- 1 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 4 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone
- 5 Dragon Patchers will continue to keep Devon's potholes filled
- 6 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 7 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
- 8 Ottery St Mary sadly lose a club legend
- 9 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 10 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
Taking part in the same race was another young Mighty Green runner, Will Ashby, and a fellow Sidmouth school colleague (non MG, but part of the team). Will took the 12th place overall and their colleague came in 15th, making Sidmouth the team winners overall.
Also running in the girls’ intermediates and seniors race was Kate Marriott. Her race went well, coming in 11th place over all. This secures her as the reserve for Nationals! Well done, Kate.