Sidmouth’s Zach Bess to skipper Devon at Cheshire
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Sidmouth’s Zak Bess will skipper the Devon team in the three-day game against Cheshire starting at Alderley Edge on Sunday, writes Conrad Sutcliffe
Bess is the official number two to Sidmouth clubmate Alex Barrow, who was appointed captain earlier in the season.
Work commitments mean Barrow cannot make the trip to the Cheshire stockbroker belt for the game, so Bess will be in charge of the county side for the first time.
Devon are under pressure to get a result against Cheshire after losing by four wickets to Wiltshire at Sandford two weeks ago.
Defeat dropped Devon from sixth to seventh in the Western Division of 10 teams.
You may also want to watch:
The bottom five will be relegated into a new Western Division Two next season as promotion and relegation comes into a slimmed down Unicorns Championship.
Devon's management wants to avoid being placed in the lower tier, which means the team has three games to turn things round.
- 1 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 2 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 5 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 6 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 9 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 10 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
And Cheshire would be a good place to start as they are one of the three teams below Devon in the table.
Jamie Baird, a 16-year-old keeper-batter on the Somerset Academy, will make his debut for Devon due to a keeping crisis.
Matt Thompson is working, so is Barrow who used to keep for Somerset, and George Allen has a hand injury that prevents him keeping but is less of a hindrance when batting.
Devon's provisional 12-man squad contains three spinners - Toby Codd, Ed Middleton and Jamie Stephens - all of whom could feature in the match.
Wayne White, Devon's match professional, was with Cheshire last season and has passed on some inside information to Tall.
"The track at Alderley Edge is prone to breaking up over three days, which is why we have gone for three spinners," said Tall.
Devon's next match is the three-dayer against Oxfordshire at Sidmouth on August 18-19-20.
Devon (from): G B Allen (Torquay), J W Baird (North Perrott), M Pugh (Torquay), B A Beaumont (Cornwood), W A White (Leek), Z G G Bess (Sidmouth), J A Stephens (Taunton Deane), M P Skeemer (Cornwood), D J Goodey (Bashley), T J R Codd (Bovey Tracey), E W O Middleton (Exeter), H M Whitlock (Bovey Tracey).