Sidmouth Sailing Club announces plans for the 2017 season
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Sailing Club has released details for the up-coming season and highlighted opportunities for beginners to try the sport, writes Alistair Watson.
The season gets underway on Saturday, March 25, at Port Royal with racing starting at 2pm.
A few weeks into the season the club offers the first of a series of taster sessions and aims to whet the appetite of first timers.
The big theme ‘beginners’ event of the year is Push The Boat Out, an open day being held at the club on Saturday, May 20, and run in conjunction with the Royal Yachting Association.
The club has also released dates for its annual RYA dinghy sailing courses for adults and juniors, which take place over the weekends of June 3 and 4 and June 17 and 18.
You may also want to watch:
Places are still available and non-members can book to take part.
The club is keen to emphasise that its juniors and development programme gets underway on May 6.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 5 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 6 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 10 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable
These sessions, held on alternate Saturdays with a 10am start, aim to create a learning platform for beginners with a relaxed atmosphere without the pressure of racing.
Anyone seeking more information about our 2017 programme can find it on our website at www.sidmouthsailing.org.uk/training or call Scott Tobin 01395 579804 or Alastair Watson 07765 656920.
Another option is to pop in to the club when it’s open and make enquiries.
Details of very reasonable membership costs are also on the website.