Sidmouth Sailing Club latest - RS Feva success for Alex and Michele
- Credit: Archant
Wind conditions on the final Saturday of June started off with a light south-easterly breeze, which swung round to south west just before the race start, so a quick change of the marker buoys by the patrol boats was needed to establish a more challenging course, writes Chris Clapp.
In the first race of the afternoon, the scorpion fleet was led from the start by Chris and David Clapp who went on to secure the win having been pressurised by Nick Jennings and Jo Kinder, who nearly caught them but had to be content with second position.
Third placed scorpion was Andy Hayman and Sofia Abrahams, sailing together for the first time.
The RS Feva race was won by Alex Hammond and Michele Anning and the Laser race was won by Bob Vine, after some close and tactical racing.
After the first race, the wind died down to a very gentle breeze which resulted in some of the sailors deciding to come ashore. The few that were keen to try a second race managed to start, only for the race to be abandoned shortly afterwards when the breeze disappeared completely.
You may also want to watch:
The patrol boats were kept busy towing some boats back to shore! Good to see some new members trying sailing with experienced helms.
The sailing club always welcomes any potential new members, so come and join in any Wednesday evening or Saturday afternoon.
- 1 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 2 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 5 The annual Marriott Trophy at Sidmouth Town Football Club
- 6 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 7 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 The questions of British Lions selection
This coming weekend sees the continuation of the RYA sailing course as well as the junior and development training on Saturday morning.
Let’s hope for ideal conditions for those taking to the water.