Sidmouth sailing success for Price and Macfayden in their scorpion
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Sailing Club sailors took to the water for their second Saturday outing of the season, writes Simon White.
Again, conditions were favourable with a flat sea and Northwesterly breeze making launching very easy.
The first race saw a tightly packed fleet on the start line jostling for the best position with the off shore breeze.
Two lasers, one being sailed by Chris Clapp, were first out of the blocks making the first mark in good time and still both out in front as they rounded the third mark.
The pack then made progress on the leaders but Chris Clapp remained out in front being the first laser over the finish line. First Scorpion over the line was Simon Price with his crew, Emma Macfayden.
You may also want to watch:
There were several retirees before the start of the second race but the breeze stayed constant to give the remaining boats some good conditions for racing. The results for the second race were the same with Chris Clapp stamping his authority by being the winning boat of the laser fleet and Simon Price and Emma Macfayden sailing well to win again in the Scorpion.
There were some keenly fought battles amongst the younger sailors in the middle of the laser fleet with Jack Rea, Oliver Moore-Jones and Kieren Fuller battling it out for the best finishing positions.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 3 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 4 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 5 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 6 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 7 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 8 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 9 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 10 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
Two club juniors Dylan Shepperd and Alex Ford were also out on the water showing off their sailing skills and did well in the two Toppers.