Sidmouth SE Golf Croquet well beaten at Swanage
Sidmouth SE Golf Croquet team travelled to Swanage last Thursday to play against Swanage Croquet Club, writes Helen Pryor.
The team had been advised that the lawns would not be up to the standard of the Sidmouth’s lawns being on the outfield of the local cricket club!
In spite of this warning, the Sidmouth players were surprised at just how rough and uneven the outfield proved to be.
They could not get the feel of the lawns until a few games had been played, by which time it was too late to win many.
At lunchtime the score was eight-and-a-half to Swanage and three-and-a-half to Sidmouth. After a superb lunch provided by the hosts Sidmouth managed to win only another three out of the remaining eight games!
You may also want to watch:
The final result of the match was a resounding win for Swanage with a score line of thirteen-and-a-half to six-and-a-half.
However, two Sidmouth players each managed to win three games; Philip Harris won a doubles with partner Margaret Piper and each also won two singles games. Margaret also drew another doubles game.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 5 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 6 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
In spite of the poor result, the Sidmouth team all enjoyed the lovely sunny day and the wonderful hospitality of the Swanage club.