Sidmouth see off to Chard to finish pre-season with perfect record

Honiton played Sidmouth for the David Turner Memorial Cup at the Allhallows ground on Saturday. Ref

Honiton played Sidmouth for the David Turner Memorial Cup at the Allhallows ground on Saturday. Ref shsp 33-16SH 5708. Picture: Simon Horn. - Credit: Archant

The Sidmouth senior rugby squad completed pre-season preparation for the coming Western Counties West league campaign with a 100 per cemnt record after a 37-17 win over Chard, writes Terry O’Brien.

Having alreadt bagged a 19-17 win at Honiton to retain the David Turner Cup and then a 19-0 home win against Topsham, they produced a convincing performance to beat one-league-higher Chard at the Blackmore Field.

The game was played in four quarters to allow coaches to review play and make substitutions to give all squad members a good run out.

Sidmouth made a flying start with a try in the first minute. They regained possession straight from the kick off and the forwards drove into the 22 with two quick phases before releasing the ball to the backs. Swift and accurate handling gave Sam Meadham space on the right wing to crash over in the corner despite the close attention of the full back.

Sidmouth were soon back on the attack. When Sam Richardson made a good break from the base of a scrum 30 metres out, the forwards were quickly in support to drive forward into the 22. When the ball was moved to the blindside of a ruck, Sam Meadham was on hand again to finish off a slick handling move.

You may also want to watch:

Just before the end of the first quarter, Meadham completed his hattrick on the end of another good handling move after the pack had driven forward from a lineout just outside the Chard 22. None of the tries were converted making the score 15-0.

Chard came into the game more in the second quarter and enjoyed good territorial advantage. They were eventually rewarded with a try from close range following a quick tap penalty. The conversion was unsuccessful leaving the halftime score at 15-5.

Most Read

From the restart kick, a crunching tackle by Sam Sowden enabled Sidmouth to regain possession and take the early initiative. When Dan Retter dummied his way through a gap following a ruck inside the Chard 22, Tom Seward provided the link to send Luke Wells-Burr in for an unconverted try.

Chard reduced the arrears when the outside centre produced a strong run to take two defenders over the line with him. The try was unconverted.

In the final minute of the quarter, Luke Wells-Burr fielded a clearance kick near halfway and beat four defenders in a fine individual run to score near the posts. Dan Retter kicked the first conversion of the game to put his side 27-10 up at the final break.

Sidmouth scored straight from the restart kick, when the ball was moved quickly to the backs. Rory O’Brien made a clean break at outside centre and outpaced the cover to touch down wide out on the left.

Another try soon followed from a supoerb handling move started inside the Sidmouth half. The ball was moved to the left, where Tom Seward made good ground into the 22. When he was stopped, the ball was quickly recycled and moved to the right. Charlie Cotton finished the move off in the right corner.

In the final minute, Chard were rewarded for a long period of pressure when the number three crashed over from close range. The conversion made the final score 37-17.

On Saturday the Chiefs play their first league game with their first-ever visit to Burnham-on-Sea, who have been transferred from Western Counties North.

At the Blackmore Field, the Quins entertain Paignton 2nds in a Merit Table game kicking off at 3pm.

The Colts travel to Brixham for a friendly.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus