Sidmouth see off tourists Beckenham and Bromley
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth entertained a ten mixed rink team from touring outfit Beckenham and Bromley last week, writes Ron Cook.
In keeping with the wonderful weather there was some high quality scoring by both sides with Sidmouth eventually winning 177-143.
The successful home rinks were; Betty Farmer, Alex Bent, Bert Hague and Norman Brimson (28-5); Anita Mason, Cliff Hewett, John Doyle and Mike Borst (22-12); Elaine Reed, Gordon Blood, Ralph Brooks and Trevor Pritchard (24-9); Mitch Mitchum, Mary Bristow, Chas Coates and Jenny Fricker (17-15); John Greenaway, Dennis Moore, Zena Johnson and Jane Painter (20-17) and Ivan Robins, Neelia Day, David Fairclough and Val Newnham (19-11).
Next up a mixed friendly trip to Lyme Regis with a team of five triples.
It was the hosts who triumphed in this on ay 91-73.
You may also want to watch:
The top Sidmouth rinks were; L Hargrave, E Hewett, C Hewett (16-16); P V Smith, A Bent and P Nobbs (17-11) and H Carpenter, J Green and J Mason (23-23).
The day after the Lyme Regis defeat a team journeyed to Heavitree and were involved in an even tougher encounter that the Exeter side won 82-51.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 3 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 4 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 5 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 6 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
The lone successful Sidmouth rink was that of Anita Mason, Jenny Fricker, Chas Coates and Chris Rourke, who won 22-14.
The final match of the week was a mixed triples against Marldon Maple Leaf of Paignton.
The South Devon side won handsomely at 126-77.
Sidmouth had two winning rinks; G Hargrave, P Chew and D Bridgeman (17-12) and J Brown, J Green and J Mason (16-15).
The Sidmouth A and B squads continue to score well in their Over-60s Triples League games.
Both made upward progress in the table after wins over leading sides Marina A and Okehampton A.