Sidmouth see off tourists Beckenham and Bromley
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth entertained a ten mixed rink team from touring outfit Beckenham and Bromley last week, writes Ron Cook.
In keeping with the wonderful weather there was some high quality scoring by both sides with Sidmouth eventually winning 177-143.
The successful home rinks were; Betty Farmer, Alex Bent, Bert Hague and Norman Brimson (28-5); Anita Mason, Cliff Hewett, John Doyle and Mike Borst (22-12); Elaine Reed, Gordon Blood, Ralph Brooks and Trevor Pritchard (24-9); Mitch Mitchum, Mary Bristow, Chas Coates and Jenny Fricker (17-15); John Greenaway, Dennis Moore, Zena Johnson and Jane Painter (20-17) and Ivan Robins, Neelia Day, David Fairclough and Val Newnham (19-11).
Next up a mixed friendly trip to Lyme Regis with a team of five triples.
It was the hosts who triumphed in this on ay 91-73.
You may also want to watch:
The top Sidmouth rinks were; L Hargrave, E Hewett, C Hewett (16-16); P V Smith, A Bent and P Nobbs (17-11) and H Carpenter, J Green and J Mason (23-23).
The day after the Lyme Regis defeat a team journeyed to Heavitree and were involved in an even tougher encounter that the Exeter side won 82-51.
- 1 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 2 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 3 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 4 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 5 Safety, security and sustainability at Sidmouth Town
- 6 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 7 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
- 8 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 9 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 10 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
The lone successful Sidmouth rink was that of Anita Mason, Jenny Fricker, Chas Coates and Chris Rourke, who won 22-14.
The final match of the week was a mixed triples against Marldon Maple Leaf of Paignton.
The South Devon side won handsomely at 126-77.
Sidmouth had two winning rinks; G Hargrave, P Chew and D Bridgeman (17-12) and J Brown, J Green and J Mason (16-15).
The Sidmouth A and B squads continue to score well in their Over-60s Triples League games.
Both made upward progress in the table after wins over leading sides Marina A and Okehampton A.