Sidmouth seniors defeat Minehead
- Credit: Archant
On a glorious day Sidmouth Seniors team played Minehead, writes Chris Grubb.
The conditions for golf were good and there was some good play by both sides.
The first match saw Bruce Harcourt, captain for the day, and partner Brian Coles take on the captain of Minehead and his partner.
The match was close with some fine play from their opponents who after getting a three on the ninth had a one hole lead at the turn. However, the fight back on the back 9 started well and by the 12th the tables were reversed, but the 14th saw it all square again and after a brilliant birdie on the 16th meant the visitors were in the lead again. The match was halved on the 18th.
The second match was Chris Grubb and Charles Brown. All seemed well until the approach to the third when Charles Brown injured his back and although he struggled on, that left Chris Grubb to fight the match, but he excelled on the back nine to achieve a two-and-one victory.
You may also want to watch:
The third pairings of John Townsend and Paul Blay had an evenly matched tussle with the Minehead pair but managed to wrap the game up at the 16th to win three-and-win.
The fourth pair. Ken Rothwell and Terry Blacker came up against a team in form, but fought hard all the way to 15th where they were finally out played to go down four-and-three.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 5 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 8 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 9 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
- 10 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
Fifth up were the experienced pairing of Colin Mitchell and Barry Jones who in a match that they described as ‘nip and tuck’ achieved a three-and-one victory.
With the match secured the finally team of Ray Gunston and David Roberts had a close match, but put the icing on the cake with a two-and-one victory to seal a four-and-a-half to one-and-a-half win for Sidmouth.