Sidmouth seniors edge close encounter with Cricket St Thomas

East Devon golf club. Ref exsp 25 17TI 5423. Picture: Terry Ife

East Devon golf club. Ref exsp 25 17TI 5423. Picture: Terry Ife - Credit: Archant

The home match against Cricket St Thomas was held in dry if cool conditions with a stiff breeze affecting parts of the course, although most of the visiting team were more concerned with the challenges of the slopes and adverse cambers that the Sidmouth course provides its players, writes Hugh Dorliac.

After a brief panic, as two members of the team (who will remain nameless) had arrived at the last minute, captain for the day Chris Grubb, partnered with ‘H’ Thompson, teed off and immediately sliced into the trees on the right!

A good recovery shot followed by a 15ft putt, secured a half on the first.

The pair managed to nose in front on the third, but lost the lead on the fifth and went behind on the sixth before recovering to all square at the halfway point.

However, the Sidmouth pairing eventually pushed on and managed a four-and-three victory with a birdie two on the 15th.

You may also want to watch:

The second pairing of Malcolm Couldwell and Charles Brown had what was described as a ‘routine round of golf’, winning three-and-two, and Charles also manage to win the nearest the pin prize on the 12th.

Brian Cole with Colin Paddon were out third playing a very close match, but finally losing on the 18th green to a solid visiting pairing.

Most Read

John Bainbridge and Colin Mitchell had a very good round, and were four up after the first four holes with the 10th being birdied by both teams. The Sidmouth pairing managed to retain their lead and ran out comfortable four-and-three winners.

Tony Wilson, sporting a new lower handicap, after winning the club stableford on Monday, and partner Roy Smith, managed to keep their round all square until the 17th. This they lost, and then sadly compounded their problems by losing the 18th and going down by a margin of two holes.

The final pairing of Mike Davis and David Stone had a close match all the way and were one down on reaching the final hole, but managed to win the 18th with superior knowledge of the putting requirements for a tricky pin placement, which caught their opponents out. Their half proved to be vital for the home team as it left the final score one of three-and-a-half to two-and-a-half and a narrow win for Sidmouth from what was a close encounter throughout.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus