Sidmouth seniors edged out at Teign Valley
- Credit: Archant
On a warm spring day Bruce Harcourt took the Sidmouth seniors team to Teign Valley Golf Club, writes Hugh Dorliac.
The course was in really good shape in what is a picturesque setting. The day seemed perfect.
Senior’s captain Bruce, with partner Chris Timms, were first out and had a close match with never more than one hole in the contest.
At the 16th, Bruce made an exceptionally good putt from just off a very sloping green to put Sidmouth all square. Chris Timms then had a fine 17th hole to take a lead into the 18th, but unfortunately for Sidmouth, the Teign Valley pair played the final hole well to tie the match.
The second pairing out of Chris Grubb and Charles Brown played solidly throughout their round with Charles playing particularly well but it was Chris who won the 16th and powered the 17th to take the match three-and-one.
You may also want to watch:
Vernon Ruffle and Colin Paddon played as the third pairing for Sidmouth and although one down at the turn they were always in the fight. Unfortunately they slipped to a three-and-one defeat at the 17th hole.
Fourth pairing Brian Coles and Colin Mitchell had a similar result although by a slightly closer margin of two-and-one.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 3 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 6 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 7 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
The fifth pair, Glyn Hewitt and Colston Herbert also had a close game with Colston playing well above his handicap and they won their match to, once again, square the overall contest.
The final pair, Ken Rothwell and H Thompson, fought a dogged contest and it was all square after 17 holes.
With the final hole being viewed by all the rest of the team spectating from the club house, expectations were high from both teams.
Sadly for Sidmouth they didn’t keep their form down the last and lost the 18th to give Teign Valley victory on the day by three-and-a-half to two-and-a-half.
However, the Sidmouth Seniors can feel they put in a good account of themselves, and look forward to the home leg in May with some confidence.