Sidmouth seniors enjoy 4-2 victory over visiting Ilfracombe.
- Credit: Archant
The Sidmouth seniors team entertained visitors Ilfracombe on what was an overcast and sticky afternoon that threatened showers, writes Chris Grubb.
Fortunately the rain was restricted to just one shower apart from the cloud that descended upon seniors vice-captain David Bromage and partner Dieter Ritz in the opening game.
They held their opponents to the ninth, but once the visiting captain chipped in on the 10th for a three they were saturated by some excellent golf, losing five-and-four.
Playing second were David Cowler and John Townsend who came in with a two-and-one success with David making an eagle on the par five 13th.
Tony Stoyle and Phil Spencer strengthened Sidmouth’s hold on the match with another two-and-one win. Colin Padden and Charles Brown won on the 18th by one and at this stage Sidmouth were 3-1 up with the possibility of further success with Ken Rothwell and Nigel Sharpe three up after five holes which they retained until the 11th when the gremlins took over and, within six holes they were beaten two-and-one.
You may also want to watch:
Les Pratt playing exceptionally consistent golf just missing an eagle on the 13th and his stalwart partner Bruce Harcourt ably supporting to a close two-and-one win.
The final result was a 4-2 victory for Sidmouth and the sides will meet again in North Devon for the second leg on September 4.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 8 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 9 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend
- 10 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council