Sidmouth seniors enjoy two-leg success over Ilfracombe
- Credit: Archant
At last some sunny weather arrived at Sidmouth for the visit of Ilfracombe to play a return match, writes Chris Grubb.
The first Sidmouth pairing were Hugh Dorliac and Colston Herbert who were tasked with taking on a formidable pairing from Ilfracombe who soon went one up, but happily the deficit was soon pulled back and overtaken as the Sidmouth pair stormed into a four hole lead by the turn, and, shortly after, sealing a five-and-four win on the 14th.
Next up were David Cowler and Terry Blackler with Cowler giving nine shots to the opposition pair and unable to recover the difference slipping behind and unfortunately losing heavily by six-and-five.
Glyn Hewitt and David Roberts played a good game against strong opposition, but ultimately proved even stronger by winning five-and-four with Hewitt driving the 17th and narrowly missing an eagle putt, but took the prize for nearest the pin in two as consolation.
Chris Grubb and Ken Price had a tough game against a seasoned pairing but battled hard to run out victorious on the 16th with a three-and-two win. The next match was very close with Brian Cole and Bob Winstone clinching a win on the 18th with both team captains looking on, as an Ilfracombe win would have potentially made a draw over the two legs.
You may also want to watch:
All eyes were then on John Townsend and Rob Owen as they hit their second shots down to the 18th green, who were one hole behind at this point, so it became a question of who would be the better putters.
Ultimately it was Townsend sinking his par putt first, with both Ilfracombe players missing theirs, resulting in a half to give Sidmouth the overall four-and-a-half to one-and-a-half win for Sidmouth over the two legs.
- 1 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 6 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 7 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 8 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 9 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
- 10 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences