Sidmouth seniors make Emerton Court progress with Teign Valley triumph
- Credit: Archant
On Tuesday the Sidmouth Seniors entertained Teign Valley Golf Club in the return fixture of the Emerton Court, the premier Club seniors competition, writes John Barnard.
Although trailing 3-2 from the first leg, the team were quietly confident about playing at home.
The first team off were Dave Hoare and Dave Cowler and it was quite a struggle. Although they went three up early on, by the turn they were all square. Holes 11 and 12 proved to be crucial as they won with two’s on both holes and eased away to win easily.
Next up were Trevor Kerridge and Chris Ashleigh demoted from first up in the first leg and having been well beaten, had a point to prove. However, they had a real battle on their hands initially but from two down and looking like they were struggling, they eventually prevailed four-and-three after a superb putting display by Trevor on the back nine.
Lester Willmington and Nick Bater had a great win in the away leg but they looked to be struggling early on and were down. Again, it was from the 10th they steadied up and then eased away to win on the 15th.
You may also want to watch:
This left Tony Stoyle and Roger Freer with the opportunity to seal the victory; only a half point was needed and that was guaranteed when they halved the 15th to be three up with three to play. They then made hard work of the victory, but eventually won on the 18th.
Chris Timms and Ray Gunston were well beaten, but Sidmouth were through to the third round with a convincing overall 6-4 victory. Well done, to the injured Bob Webber and his team.
- 1 Husband and wife team take over at White & Son Shoes
- 2 Headteacher pays tribute to small school with a huge heart
- 3 New women’s team created at Sidmouth Rugby Club
- 4 Family trip to seaside ends in dramatic rescue from rip tide
- 5 Walkers get ready to step out in the twilight for Hospiscare
- 6 Men replicating ladies at Ottery Bowls Club
- 7 Latest news and results from Sidmouth Bowls
- 8 Property of the Week: Trinity Court, Sidmouth
- 9 Plans to pedestrianise Sidmouth town centre put forward
- 10 Rob to serve up your top topping for your perfect pizza this month