Sidmouth seniors make Emerton Court progress with Teign Valley triumph
- Credit: Archant
On Tuesday the Sidmouth Seniors entertained Teign Valley Golf Club in the return fixture of the Emerton Court, the premier Club seniors competition, writes John Barnard.
Although trailing 3-2 from the first leg, the team were quietly confident about playing at home.
The first team off were Dave Hoare and Dave Cowler and it was quite a struggle. Although they went three up early on, by the turn they were all square. Holes 11 and 12 proved to be crucial as they won with two’s on both holes and eased away to win easily.
Next up were Trevor Kerridge and Chris Ashleigh demoted from first up in the first leg and having been well beaten, had a point to prove. However, they had a real battle on their hands initially but from two down and looking like they were struggling, they eventually prevailed four-and-three after a superb putting display by Trevor on the back nine.
Lester Willmington and Nick Bater had a great win in the away leg but they looked to be struggling early on and were down. Again, it was from the 10th they steadied up and then eased away to win on the 15th.
You may also want to watch:
This left Tony Stoyle and Roger Freer with the opportunity to seal the victory; only a half point was needed and that was guaranteed when they halved the 15th to be three up with three to play. They then made hard work of the victory, but eventually won on the 18th.
Chris Timms and Ray Gunston were well beaten, but Sidmouth were through to the third round with a convincing overall 6-4 victory. Well done, to the injured Bob Webber and his team.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 6 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 7 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 8 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Sidmouth Girls Rugby