Sidmouth Seniors’ Open win for Powell, Macklin and Rice
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Golf Club hosted a three man Seniors Open competition on Tuesday, two scores to count on each hole, writes John Barnard.
A new event with not a large entry, but some visitors entered and fortunately in this changeable week, the weather behaved reasonably well.
Club captain Richard Powell only recently qualified to play in this event (not an achievement any of us look forward to) and he was on hand for the presentation which was just as well as it was his team that won!
Joined by vice captain Colin Macklin, and the fairly recently convert Brian Rice, they amassed an excellent 80 points.
For a long time, they looked to be comfortable winners by five points but as invariably it happens, the very last team of Jim Edwards, John Nicolle and Andy Truscott came in last with 79 points to take second spot.
You may also want to watch:
In third place were Malcolm Couldwell, Ray Gunston and Geoff Lory, based on countback with a better back nine compared to other teams with the same score.
Other prize winners were John Carroll with nearest the pin on the 12th hole and Andy Truscott managed the longest drive on the 18th.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 5 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 7 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 A couple of new starts for Ottery Bowling Club
It was a most enjoyable day and hopefully, will be included in the calendar in future years.