Sidmouth seniors power to success over East Devon
Sidmouth seniors had their home fixture against East Devon Golf Club and as always proved a competitive fixture with local bragging rights to the fore, writes Chris Grubb.
The match was played in good conditions with a cool breeze reminding the players that Autumn is on the way.
Seniors captain Nigel Sharp partnered with Barry Jones started proceedings against East Devon captain Robin Grenyer and Barry Devetta, who had to give the Sidmouth pair 10 and 9 shots respectively, which would normally prove very difficult; but were still able to halve their match.
Second out were Chris Timms and John Billingsley and they won comfortably six-and-five with Billingsley eagling the 10th hole.
Third out were Tony Stoyle and Brian Cole and they secured a five-and0three victory with Stoyle birdying the par five 13th. Phil Spencer and Colin Paddon won by two having been all square until winning the 17th and 18th holes.
You may also want to watch:
Charles Brown and Peter Emery next out won by the same margin and in the same fashion. Sixth out were the pairing of Ken Rothwell and Vernon Ruffle and they recorded a four-and-two success with Ruffle having one of his better days playing below his handicap.
This fixture is unique in that it is always played as a seven match competition instead of the usual six matches so the seventh pair of Ray Gunston and Colston Herbert brought up the rear to complete the match by winning four-and-two.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 6 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 7 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 8 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable
- 9 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
Sidmouth won the match very convincingly at six-and-a-half to a half with George Rogers of East Devon and John Billingsley of Sidmouth winning the nearest the pin awards for their respective teams.