Sidmouth Seniors reclaim the Millenium Plate
- Credit: Archant
Friday was the annual Millenium Plate Competition when the ladies’ section compete against the senior gentlemen’s section, not only for the Plate, but as a matter of honour, writes Pauline Couldwell.
The format is greensome pairs matchplay, with the ladies receiving an extra courtesy shot, after handicap calculation, each year the seniors win.
This usually results in cries of: "How many shots have we got to give?", at the start of the competition, but invariably the results show that these are justified.
There was a good turnout of 18 pairs, nine on each side, to represent the two sections and do 'battle'. Most of the games swung one way and the other until the last hole, showing how closely matched the teams were.
Much fun and banter was enjoyed during the matches with the debates continuing in the clubhouse over a drink and snack.
You may also want to watch:
The result was a 6-3 win to the seniors, who claimed back the Millenium Plate.
The consolation to the ladies is that they will be given another shot next year, making it six for each ladies' pair, no doubt to lead to another round of: "How many shots?".
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 6 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 7 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors