Sidmouth seniors suffer heavy defeat at Taunton and Pickeridge
- Credit: Archant
On the most pleasant spring day so far this season, during warm sunshine and clear skies, the Sidmouth seniors visited Taunton & Pickeridge Golf Club, writes Chris Grubb.
Sadly, the Sidmouth team could not convert their enthusiasm to get out and enjoy the situation against a very strong Taunton team, fielding some very good low handicappers.
The only pairing to emerge with any credit were Tony Stoyle and Paul Blay who returned to the clubhouse with a match halved after being four down in the earlier stages.
The pairings of David Bromage and Les Pratt and Brian Cole and Barry Jones both lost two-and-one, having had opportunities to challenge their opponents closely.
‘H’ Thompson and Roger Freer lost to an in-form low handicapper in Thompsons first match for the seniors and there were also defeats for Ken Rothwell and John Sanders and David Roberts playing with Roger Bawden but David being compensated by winning nearest the pin for Sidmouth..
You may also want to watch:
However Roberts did gain some compensation as he won the nearest the pin for Sidmouth.
As for the match, that was lost five-and-half to a half.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 5 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 6 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 10 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable