Sidmouth seniors well beaten on visit to Ilfracombe

A golfing picture

A golfing picture - Credit: Archant

The Sidmouth seniors away match against Ilfracombe Golf Club was held in hot, dry conditions, but with a breeze helping to keep the players cooler than might have been expected.

Captain for the day, Chris Grubb partnered with Brian Cole got off to a very average start halving the first two holes before losing the next three, and, despite Brian Cole getting one back for Sidmouth on the sixth, they were still three down at the turn with Chris Grubb struggling for form since his return from holiday.

The back nine proved similar although both players managed to extend the game by winning the 13th and halving both the 14th and 15th, but eventually losing their match three-and-one.

Next out were Charles Brown and Ray Gunston and they got a good start by winning the first two holes and then playing steadily with Ray Gunston winning the nearest the pin on the fourth although only halving the hole. By the halfway point they were one down, but were unable to hold the home pair who increased their lead during the back nine to eventually lose four-and-three.

Doug Goodall, partnering Barry Jones, played well together, and despite Doug’s ankle injury and Barry recently recovering from a virus infection, showed the rest of the Sidmouth team how to get a win, coming in with a two-and-one win after a close match.

You may also want to watch:

The Colin Mitchell/Vernon Ruffle duo had a bad day and came up against a very strong pairing from Ilfracombe, losing seven-and-five.

Tony Stoyle and Bruce Harcourt played well in their match, but had to give too many shots on handicap to the home team, which in the end made all the difference and despite their best efforts eventually lost two-and-one.

Most Read

Hugh Dorliac left his partner Rob Owen to halve the first hole, having cleverly hooked his drive into the bushes. A hole apiece on two and three kept things level, but the home team, who received 10 and five shots respectively on home soil, soon forged ahead and were three up at the turn.

The next couple of holes sealed Sidmouth’s fate and despite a minor rally on the 12th, the Ilfracombe pair wrapped the game up on the fourteenth.

Sidmouth ended the game, beaten 5-1, but will be hoping to get their revenge in the return match which will take place at Sidmouth on July 26.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus