Sidmouth Spears Drive success for Ottery St Mary foursome
- Credit: Archant
One of the favourite days on the calendar for the Sidmouth ladies came around on Tuesday when the club hosted the Spears Trophy drive.
Five clubs - Budleigh, Exonia, Honiton, Madeira and Seaton, sent a team each to compete against Sidmouth teams, moving to a new rink and opposition every four ends, accumulating a plus or minus score as they go along.
Twenty-four ends are played in total - exhausting enough on an average day, but in temperatures hitting 30 degrees the ladies were more than grateful to stop at 12 ends for a ‘bowlers’ tea - a variety of sandwiches followed by an array of delicious home-made cakes, and, of course, plentiful pots of tea.
Refreshed and ready for action, the ladies went back out to complete another 12 ends, enjoying the light breeze that wafted in from the sea.
At the end of the day it was the Ottery ladies of Dot Luffe, Val Kille, Jan Williams-Richardson and skip Sharon Kenny who took the honours with a score of plus 23.
You may also want to watch:
The runners-up, with plus 14, were the Sidmouth team of a plus score of 14, were Sidmouth bowlers Valerie Newnham, Liz Boyle and Jean Brimson with skip Carol Smith.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 8 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
- 9 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution