Sidmouth Spears trophy goes ahead despite ‘worst weather in 25 years’
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Bowls Club staged their annual Spears Trophy meeting, writes Carol Smith.
This is when the club invites a team from six local clubs to play against six Sidmouth teams.
This is held at the same time each year and usually the weather is beautiful. However, on this occasion the weather was anything but beautiful. Indeed, going back as far as I can recall, we endured the worse weather this event has suffered in some 25 years!
The first session, before tea, was pretty wet, but, after a super tea served by some of our ladies, the weather improved.
Sidmouth retained their trophy again this year with a resounding win by the team of Liz Boyle, Paddy Chew and skip, Jane Painter, with a great score of 31 shots.
You may also want to watch:
The best visiting team was our good fun loving friends from Seaton with albeit a minus score of one. On reflection, this was another wonderful day at the bowls club - even with that awful rain!
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 8 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 9 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 10 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98