Sidmouth Spears Trophy won once more by Honiton team
- Credit: Archant
The Spears Trophy is a Sidmouth Bowls Club ladies competition that has now been running for 40 years, writes Susie Bonnell.
The 2015 version proved to be just as much fun as that very first one when the event was launched back in 19075.
Despite the gradual changes to all things surrounding the competition - hats and thick tights no longer compulsory - the tradition of friendly rivalry and playing in glorious summer sunshine carries on.
Teams are invited from Budleigh, Madeira, Ottery St Mary, Exonia, Honiton and Seaton. Four rounds are played on each rink so, before you have time to get to grips with the line, it’s time to move on!
A sumptuous tea was served at the halfway mark and, of course, fortunes often change after tea.
You may also want to watch:
This year, just as last year, the event was won by a team of Honiton ladies and so the trophy will be staying with their club for another 12 months.
No doubt Sidmouth ladies, runners-up this time round, will be looking to win it back next year!
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 7 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 8 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box