Sidmouth star Lewis scores ton for Devon
- Credit: Archant
Liam Lewis warmed-up for Devon’s looming Unicorns Cup campaign by taking a ton off Exeter University in yesterday’s 100-run win over the students at Exmouth.
Sidmouth opener Lewis averaged more than 60 in the Devon side that won the cup last season – and the management will be glad to see him in form ahead of Sunday’s group opener against Wales at Instow.
Devon lost six of the cup-winning side over the winter and need Lewis firing on all cylinders. His 103 came of 130 balls and included 12 fours, a six and 16 runs in one over from University paceman Jono Burden.
By the time Lewis retired with a sore knee, had had shared stands of 46 with James Toms, 121 with skipper Matt Thompson and 30 with Sam Wyatt-Haines.
Thompson made 62- seven fours and two sixes included –and Wyatt-Haines hammered 80 not out off just 43 balls.
You may also want to watch:
Wyatt-Haines’ Somerset 2nd XI commitments may prevent him playing many three-day games, but it’s hard to seem him being left out of the one-day squads on this evidence.
“With so many of last year’s big guns gone it’s good to see we have young talent coming through,” said team boss Keith Donohue, who didn’t want to give too much away before naming the side to face Wales.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 5 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 8 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
Faced with making 299 to win in 50 overs, the University were soon behind the clock.
A running total of 52 for none became 54 for five as Tom Allin and Zac Bess picked up a couple of wickets each
Alex Hughes (70) and Rob Newman (23) staved off total collapse with a stand of 54 for the sixth wicket.
Hughes and Burden (30no) pottered along after drink, putting on 73 in 17 overs for the seventh wicket.
Max Curtis mopped up the final three wickets in two overs of leg-spin at the end.
Devon 298-5 (L J Lewis 103ret, S J R Wyatt-Haines 80no, M W Thompson 62; J P Burden 3-68), University of Exeter 198 (A Hughes 70; M H Curtis 3-17, T W Allin 2-12, Z C G Bess 2-14). Devon bt Exeter University by 100 runs.