Sidmouth Strava Running Club who’s top for August?
- Credit: Archant
There are 80 runners registered in the Sidmouth Running Club Stava group so far (other apps are available like Map My Run etc), writes Hamish Spence.
So, with hundreds of activities getting recorded every month and several thousand combined miles being clocked up by the group members in that time span, some questions struck me.
I wondered how competitive are we all? Does anyone else check to see who's doing serious mileage?
And then, do you ask or think to yourself, could I do that extra mile and knock 'so and so' off from his/her perch and claim a top ten place for the week? Fun isn't it?
I found myself in 11th place one Sunday evening in August, so I went for a small run around the town and found myself in a 'one off' seventh place!
You may also want to watch:
Obviously I was more chuffed that I had almost done 25 miles. However, I have a long way to go when you note how many miles some of our distance runners cover.
Far more importantly, the achievements of others in the group had spurred me on and they didn't even know it.
- 1 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 2 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 3 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 4 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 5 Business owners are asking 'has the Government done enough to help?'
- 6 Peninsula League season could be over
- 7 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 8 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 9 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year
- 10 How the Beeching Report signalled the end of the line for many local railways
So thank you guys and girls. Now, with all that in mind, as an acknowledgement of your unwitting help I have put together a ' Top Five' chart for distance covered in August 2019.
In fifth place sits Ben Devon (orienteer) with 79.3 miles.
Sue Cole rolls in at fourth spot with 102.7 miles and Jessica Raynor takes third place with 139.2 miles.
Having completed 161.2 miles, Colin I'Anson is at number two which all leaves top spot, currently held by David Chipping,who totalled 175.3 miles