Sidmouth Stretham Trophy success for Cowler and Spencer
- Credit: Archant
On Saturday, the first round of the Stretham Trophy was played, writes John Barnard.
This is a better ball competition played over five rounds (depending on the weather) during the winter months with the final in March.
On Saturday, it felt like winter had arrived as it was cold and drab. However, the scores were good with 44 points achieved by three teams so countback was needed to separate them.
Dave Cowler and Phil Spencer just came out on top as two teams had scored 25 points on the back nine, but Phil and Dave’s back six was just better.
Steve Jones and Shaun Murphy were the disappointed runners up. Steve must have been very tired by the end as he came in on all the back nine holes to score 25 points on his own and carried Shaun all the way, something quite a few of us would have struggled to achieve!
You may also want to watch:
Craig Melluish and Moary Bosence were third having just scored 23 points on the way in!
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 8 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients