Sidmouth Strollers clinch the ‘Deasy’ Cup
- Credit: Archant
Elite footballers from across Devon assembled in strength last Friday evening to contest the ‘Deasy’ Cup at the Exeter City FC training ground.
The ‘ Walking Football’ tournament organised to celebrate the outstanding contribution made by Graham Deasy over the past 3 years. Teams from Exeter, Sidmouth, Exminster, Exmouth and Honiton competed to show their appreciation and support.
The competition was fiercely contested with very little separating the teams. There were some cracking goals the best of which fell to Alan ‘Plenty Of Fish’ Breckon, while Craig Dixon went close (to Plymouth) with a couple of long-range efforts.
Eventually, Exminster stormed to a 4-0 win over Honiton in the first semi-final and they were joined by Sidmouth, who beat Axminster in their clash.
A huge crowd gathered to voice their support as the final got under way. Sidmouth opened the scoring through Mike Touhy but favourites Exminster deservedly equalised and then took a 2-1 lead. Sidmouth battled hard and in the last minute.Touhy levelled the scores with an excellent strike to take the match to a penalty shoot-out.
You may also want to watch:
Sidmouth keeper Ken ‘The Cat’ Barley was in magnificent form and capped a fine evening by saving a penalty and securing the cup for Sidmouth.
Referee and organiser Ray MCFadden commented: “The standard of play was extremely high and enjoyed by all who took part.”
- 1 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 2 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 3 Business owners are asking 'has the Government done enough to help?'
- 4 Peninsula League season could be over
- 5 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 6 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 7 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 8 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year
- 9 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 10 How the Beeching Report signalled the end of the line for many local railways
Walking Football veteran Chris Buckland presented Graham with his award at the Cat and Fiddle Pub to round off a very successful evening.
If you would like to know more about Walking Football in East Devon check out the Facebook page for more information: Walking Football Exeter & E Devon.