Sidmouth Strollers clinch the ‘Deasy’ Cup
- Credit: Archant
Elite footballers from across Devon assembled in strength last Friday evening to contest the ‘Deasy’ Cup at the Exeter City FC training ground.
The ‘ Walking Football’ tournament organised to celebrate the outstanding contribution made by Graham Deasy over the past 3 years. Teams from Exeter, Sidmouth, Exminster, Exmouth and Honiton competed to show their appreciation and support.
The competition was fiercely contested with very little separating the teams. There were some cracking goals the best of which fell to Alan ‘Plenty Of Fish’ Breckon, while Craig Dixon went close (to Plymouth) with a couple of long-range efforts.
Eventually, Exminster stormed to a 4-0 win over Honiton in the first semi-final and they were joined by Sidmouth, who beat Axminster in their clash.
A huge crowd gathered to voice their support as the final got under way. Sidmouth opened the scoring through Mike Touhy but favourites Exminster deservedly equalised and then took a 2-1 lead. Sidmouth battled hard and in the last minute.Touhy levelled the scores with an excellent strike to take the match to a penalty shoot-out.
You may also want to watch:
Sidmouth keeper Ken ‘The Cat’ Barley was in magnificent form and capped a fine evening by saving a penalty and securing the cup for Sidmouth.
Referee and organiser Ray MCFadden commented: “The standard of play was extremely high and enjoyed by all who took part.”
- 1 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 2 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 5 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 6 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 9 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
Walking Football veteran Chris Buckland presented Graham with his award at the Cat and Fiddle Pub to round off a very successful evening.
If you would like to know more about Walking Football in East Devon check out the Facebook page for more information: Walking Football Exeter & E Devon.