Sidmouth suffer Emerton Court wipe out at Portmore and have much to do in home leg
- Credit: Â© Royalty-Free/CORBIS
The second round of the Emerton Court for Sidmouth Golf Club was played this week by Sidmouth Golf Club, writes John Barnard.
This is the competition for the Over-60s men and is played by clubs across Devon on a home and away basis.
The venue for the latest match was Portmore Golf Club, a relatively new course which is situated just outside Barnstaple.
In the Emerton Court competition the format is five games played on a better-ball matchplay basis and the aim is to ‘pinch’ a point or ideally two in the away leg and then hold on to the advantage in the home leg!
Sidmouth captain Bob Webber selected a strong looking team, perhaps too strong in hindsight!
You may also want to watch:
Once all the matches were sorted, it became apparent that Portmore had selected a number of high handicappers and so, in every match, Sidmouth were giving a number of shots to their opponents. This factor, coupled with the home side’s knowledge of their course which had much slower greens that the Sidmouth players were used to, saw the match end with a 5-0 score line in favour of the home side.
While this was a disappointing day for the team, the Portmore players will have to cope with the Sidmouth slopes and much quicker greens so the aim will be to get a 5 – 0 at home and then, it is sudden death knockout. Sidmouth have been this far behind before and come through.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 8 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 9 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 10 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
Let’s hope they can do it again!