Sidmouth suffer Parker Trophy defeat at Tiverton
- Credit: Archant
The start of the major County Competitions loomed large for Sidmouth Golf Club, writes John Barnard.
A difficult draw in the Parker Trophy meant playing Exeter Golf and Country Club at Tiverton, a tree lined course much better suited to the Exeter team.
Captain of the Parker Trophy team was Start Coles and after puzzling long and hard over which of the best golfers at Sidmouth to choose, he announced his team.
The chosen date was Sunday and the team arrived at Tiverton, unexpectedly needing their winter clothing as it was freezing. The Club Manager dropped himself due to form and a bad back, but only bringing shorts proved to be his biggest mistake.
First off was Duncan Taylor and John Jones and despite high hopes, they went four down after four holes. Despite rallying themselves and getting back to only one down, they eventually lost three-and-two. Next up was captain Coles, playing with Challenge Cup holder David Bater who has shown good form in the early season. Despite some early chances, they were well beaten so the match was lost.
You may also want to watch:
Bringing up the rear was the pairing of Neil Holland and Mark Thomas (drafted in at short notice). Seemingly oblivious to the cold (their athletic frames perhaps better suited to the conditions), they started slowly with a few hooks off the tee. Gradually their greater experience told and although three down half way round, they ground away, culminating in Neil holing a good eight foot putt for a deserved half.
Overall, Sidmouth lost two-and-a-half to a half, but will have benefitted from the experience. Moral of the day, travel with lots of warm clothing when heading north!
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 3 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 6 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 7 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge