Sidmouth sunk by Cornwall in Federation Croquet Team Match
- Credit: Archant
The Sidmouth Federation croquet team suffered a 5-2 defeat in their second league match away to Cornwall, writes David Butler.
The Sidmouth doubles partnership of Julie Horsley and Mike Taylor had five bisques against the Cornwall partnership of Richard Griffith (sporting a minus half handicap) and Des Honey, and they used their bisques tactically to win plus eight on time.
In the two morning singles games Ian Friedlander played Peter Cutting and Philip Harris played Ian Wilson. They were unable to adjust to the slower lawns and lost minus five and minus eleven respectively.
Four singles were played in the afternoon.
Mike Taylor was drawn to play Richard Griffith. Mike had four-and-a-half bisques and, having seen Richard hit in and run four hoops with only three balls on the lawn, decided to use his bisques immediately. He won in less than two hours to peg out and win, plus 20.
You may also want to watch:
Ian and Philip continued to struggle and lost their singles minus 18 and minus 13 respectively.
Julie Horsley play confidently and determinedly against Des Honey and was unlucky to lose minus one on time.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 5 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
The team were not-down hearted because the sun shone all day and they enjoyed the Cornish tea and strawberries provided by their hosts.