Sidmouth Surf Lifesaving Club lottery funding success
- Credit: Archant
Following a successful Sports Lottery Grant application for £10,000, Sidmouth Surf Lifesaving Club saw the delivery of six new single learner racing skis and a racing double ski last week.
The skis are used in surf lifesaving competition and are specifically designed to negotiate waves in the fastest possible way.
The club has been developing its competitive squad over the last four years and has been highly successful at a county and national level. The club boasts a number of British champions and a third of the Devon youth team are made up from Sidmouth competitors. Sidmouth is the most successful south coast club at Devon and national championships.
Good weather and calm seas welcomed the arrival of the new skis at the club’s Wednesday night training session.
This gave the 50-strong competitive squad a great opportunity to try their hand at ski paddling.
You may also want to watch:
Dave Manley, chairman and head coach, says: “We have been extremely successful over the last few years in most surf lifesaving competition disciplines - such as swimming, board paddling and beach events. However, where we have lacked depth is in ski paddling.
“These new learning skis will help get our members paddling at a young age, allowing them to progress their skills and be ready to compete when they become old enough.
- 1 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 2 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 5 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 6 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 9 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
“Ski paddling is an excellent form of fitness specifically working the upper body and core.”