Sidmouth Surf Lifesaving members take leading role in Devon team
- Credit: Archant
In only the third year of junior competition by Sidmouth Surf Lifesaving Club seven of its youngsters have been selected to represent Devon.
Louis Spalding, Jack Gregorius and Lucy Gosling have been selected to compete in the open event and Esmee Gregorius, Finlay Morgan, Josh Roberts and Josie Crisp have been selected in the under 15 years category.
Sidmouth’s competitors beat off competition of all clubs in Devon to secure places in the team at recent trials in North Devon. Only one other club, Woolacombe, has more members in the team.
The Devon team had the first of two head-to-head competitions with Cornwall last weekend (July 8) and they meet again on July 22.
From these meetings an England team will be selected.
You may also want to watch:
What’s more GB team selectors will also be overseeing events to keep an eye out on any stand-out individuals who would then be asked to join team GB to compete internationally.
The chairman and also head coach at Sidmouth Surf Life Saving Club, Dave Manley, said: “I am extremely proud of these athletes, they have trained hard and shown great dedication and this has paid off with selection into the county team.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 6 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 7 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 8 Young gardeners enjoy seeing the early fruits of their labour
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
“In only a few years of competition, in what is a totally new sport for our athletes, we have become one of the leading clubs nationally.”