Sidmouth swimmers star at gala
Sidmouth Sid Vale Sharks swimmer Hannah Rudgard achieved five first places at the Level 3 Exeter City Swimming Gala.
She won the girls’ 10 and under 50m Fly, 50m Freestyle, 50m backstroke, 50m breaststroke and 100m Individual Medley.
Teams travelled a long way to compete in the event with participants from St Ives, Bristol, Chard and Millfield in attendance as well as most of the swimming clubs in Devon.
Sidmouth swimmers did themselves proud with a large number clocking up personal best times in the respective events.
There were a number of medal winning performances and swimmers achieving Devon County Championship qualifying times. Winning performances were also achieved by Jess Bendle in the age 16 and over 50m and 100m backstroke, Hannah Domhof in the 16 and over 50m Fly and Issy Beech in the 11 and under 100m freestyle. Turn to page 59
You may also want to watch:
Issy also achieved second place in the 50m fly, 100m Individual Medley and 3rd place in the 50m backstroke. Jess Bendle was also 2nd in the 50m fly with Hannah Domhof achieving 3rd place in the 50m freestyle and 100m individual medley.
Other performances of note by Sid Vale swimmers were, Hannah Beglin 2nd in the girls 11 and under 200m backstroke and 3rd in the 100m and 200m breaststroke, Jack Simmons 2nd and 3rd place in the boys 13 and under 100m and 50m breaststroke, Matthew Laurenti 3rd place in the boys 50m backstroke and 50m freestyle, Matthew Domhof 2nd place in the boys 13 and under 50m backstroke and Darcy Hastie 3rd in the girls 9 and under 50m breaststroke.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 3 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 6 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
The other swimmers who represented the club all achieved personal best times on the day. These included girls 9 and under Abigail Harris, 11 and under Connie Harris and Daisy Essex, 12 and under Flora Hastie. The boys 12 and under Thomas Davy and Matthew Byron.