Sidmouth Swimming Club award winners
Sid Vale Swimming Club held their annual awards ceremony at Sidmouth Rugby Club following the club championships held earlier this year, writes John Beglin.
The championships are contested in all four strokes and the individual medley over a variety of distances up to 400m with points accumulated based on individual positions in each event.
Age group champions are determined based on the swimmers with the highest points total across the events. The boys’ age group champions were 10yo and under: Sam Vega-Buttery; 11yo: Louis Spalding; 12yo: Thomas Davy; 13yo: Jonathan Surtees; 14yo: Max Moore; 15yo: Joe Cox; 16yo: Christian Goddard; Open - Ed Bugler.
Girls- 9yo and under: Darcy Hastie; 10yo: Eve Badcock; 11yo: Hannah Beglin; 12yo: Aimee Keast; 13yo: Rachel Cavin; 14yo: Annabel Gosling; 15yo: Phillippa Wyant; 16yo: Jess Jenkins.
Two additional trophies were awarded to swimmers - the 800m was awarded to Sam Cavin with the 1500m going to Matthew Domhof.
You may also want to watch:
In addition to the age group championships a number of swimmers were chosen to receive special category awards. The award for the most improved girl swimmer in the club was awarded to Isabelle Beech with Thomas Davy boys’ equivalent. Special effort awards were given to Michael Overton and Daisy Essex. The coaches awards were given to Jack Simons and Jess Bendle. Bendle was also awarded the Peter Bradnam trophy for the best club member.
As part of the awards ceremony the club’s coaches take the opportunity to appoint club Captains for the forthcoming year. Boys’ captain for the year is Aaron Webber and girls’ captain Jessica Bendle.
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 3 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 4 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 5 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 6 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 7 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 8 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 9 Stepping out for charity in honour of Sir Captain Tom's legacy
- 10 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
As the longest serving volunteer within the club Derek Walkden was awarded the shield for services to the club.
The biggest cheer of the night was reserved for a special award given to level one coaches Simon Towers and Patrick Domhof who the committee considered needed to be recognised for their efforts over a number of years. Thanks to all the parents who helped organise, and cater, for the evening.