Sidmouth take the lead after leg one of the Picture Match meeting with East Devon
- Credit: Archant
On Sunday, Sidmouth played two representative games, writes John Barnard.
The first was the annual two legged match against East Devon, known as the Picture Match.
One of the older sporting events in East Devon, it hasn’t been very kind to Sidmouth in recent years, but team captain and cup winner Mark Thomas selected a strong looking team on paper. Played over 36 holes, the morning is played as foursomes and the afternoon, individual match play.
It didn’t start well, quickly two matches down, but captain Thomas and Nick Gingell had a good 4 and 3 win. It looked like it was slipping away again as East Devon got two more points, but Sidmouth won two of the last three matches to go in for lunch with an acceptable 5-3 deficit.
In the afternoon, Sidmouth lost the first three matches, but Jonathan Lee steadied the ship with a good win, closely followed by Captain Thomas. The ‘tail’ then really began to wag and the afternoon matches ended 8-8, so, a 13-11 deficit to bring back to Sidmouth. This was one of the best results achieved by Sidmouth in many years and gives hope that the famous Picture can be brought back to our clubhouse.
You may also want to watch:
Also playing were Sidmouth B team, away at Teign Valley. Captained by Colin Macklin, he selected his good friend Bob Welsman as his partner and they halved their match although leading for quite a while. The next match was also halved but then, three out of the next four matches were won by Sidmouth. Lester Willmington and Steve Johnson won 2-1, Sean Murphy and Harrison Jones (two big hitters) had a great 4-3 win and finally, Bob Andrews and Malcolm Willoughby won, two up. An excellent four-and-two win for Mack’s lads.
- 1 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 2 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 3 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 4 Business owners are asking 'has the Government done enough to help?'
- 5 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 6 Peninsula League season could be over
- 7 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 8 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year
- 9 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 10 Tar Barrel Night paintings will help keep the event rolling