Sidmouth take title bid to final day after seeing off North Devon
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth 1st XI will take their bid to lift the Tolchards Devon League Premier Division title to the final day of the campaign after they bagged a five wicket win at home to North Devon.
The visitors won the toss and opted to bat first and had 43 on the board when Josh Bess made the initial break through. Leg before wicket decisions for Will Murray and Charlie Miles left North Devon on 113-3 and a Tom Wainright catch off young Max Hancock left them 134-4. Hancock picked up a second wicket with an lbw shout in his favour and the sixth and final wicket was a Dec Lines catch off Murray as North Devon closed on 216-6 after their 50 overs.
Hancock’s figures were an impressive 2-26 from a full stint of 10 overs while Murray, who also bagged a brace, returned figures of 2-40. The other bowling figures were; Charlie Miles (1-43), Josh Bess (1-51) and Scott Barlow (0-42).
The in-form Josh Bess launched the home reply with Dec Lines and the pair gave their side a century start, not being parted until the Fortfield score board was showing 104 when Bess was bowled having scored 64 from 53 deliveries, hitting nine fours and three sixes.
Skipper Luke Bess joined Lines, but the latter fell for 40 with the score on 121.
You may also want to watch:
Matt Cooke was next in and he and his skipper took the reply to 153 when Cooke fell for 20. Nick Gingell was next man in – and out – bowled for four, one of four wickets to fall to Alfie Huxtable. Skipper Bess was out with the winning line just two runs away. Bess faced 48 balls for his five boundary 36.
Scott Barlow joined Henry Gater and the pair saw the Fortfield men over the line.
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 3 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 6 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 7 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
For Sidmouth to win the title on the final day they must win at Exmouth and hope that table-toppers Heathcoat fail to beat a Sandford side that must win the game at Knightshayes themselves to make sure they line up in the top flight next summer!
It promises to be a thrilling – and nail-biting – final day of the Tolchards Devon League season!