Sidmouth team win Section Three final and now head for Madeira June meeting
- Credit: Archant
A team of Sidmouth ladies played in the final of the Section Three A rinks competition, write Carol Smith.
The match was played on a Thursday afternoon against a most formidable opponent in Madeira from Exmouth.
What proved to be a close contest from first wood to last saw the teams locked at 17-all after 19 ends.
On the 20th end, the opposition scored two to see them edge ahead.
However, in the 21st and final end, the Sidmouth bowlers displayed nerves of steel to score a magnificent four shots to take the match honours 21-19.
You may also want to watch:
The team will now head into a meeting with a team from Section Six A (Torbay area) with that fixture scheduled to be played at Madeira on June 24.
There was other action on Thursday with the club playing a mixed friendly at home to Bovey Tracey.
- 1 The annual Marriott Trophy at Sidmouth Town Football Club
- 2 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 3 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 4 The questions of British Lions selection
- 5 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 6 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 7 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 8 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
Unfortunately, Sidmouth lost on three of the four rinks and the overall score was one of 94-67 in favour of the visitors.
Needless to say, Bovey went home very happy for not only was our excellent hospitality greatly enjoyed, but we also let them win! Hm…message to team - must do better!
Oh, there was something to smile about post match and that was a minus 14 score for the only home success, that being the rink of Harry Carpenter, Phil Meadows, Liz Boyle and skip Brian Smith.