Sidmouth teenager gets Devon Lions call for meeting with Worcestershire 2nd XI
- Credit: Archant
Harvey Sargent’s early season promise for Sidmouth hasn’t gone un-noticed as he is in the Devon Lions side for Sunday’s 50-over friendly against Worcestershire 2nd XI, writes Conrad Sutcliffe.
Devon have had Sargent on the radar ever since he scored two tons for Devon U15s on their South Africa tour in 2014.
In three Premier Division games this season, Sargent is averaging exactly 60, so he gets a go against better opposition to see what he can do.
It won’t surprise anyone who has been reading the scorecards week by week that Torquay’s lively opening bowler Ryan Stevenson has been offered the chance to show what he can do.
Stevenson came through the same Devon age-group sides as current captain Matt Thompson and Barney Huxtable, who broke into the three-day side last season.
You may also want to watch:
While they went on to play at Premier sides – Thompson with Torquay, Huxtable at Exmouth and North Devon – Stevenson stayed loyal to Dartington & Totnes in the B and C Divisions.
He even quit cricket for a season to play golf instead – and won a sports scholarship to the United States to pursue the game.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 7 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 8 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
Stevenson switched to Torquay this season and has made an instant impression.
Torquay are top of the table and one reasons is Stevenson, who has taken 11 wickets for 71 runs.
Sunday’s game is being played at Cheltenham CC in Gloucestershire.
Worcestershire like to move their Academy and 2nd XI games around and have played Devon at Wolverhampton in Staffordshire in the past.
Devon Lions: R A Mawdsley (Chard), H J Sargent (Sidmouth), D J Wolf (Paignton), B G Huxtable (North Devon), R A Stevenson, J W Y L Yau (both Torquay), J A Stephens (Tavistock), M J Petherbridge (Torquay), J V King (North Devon), D J Goodey, H J Kerton (both Plymouth).