Sidmouth Tennis Club doubles title for Heywood and Harrison
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Tennis Club Ladies and Mens Doubles competitions were completed this week to conclude the annual in-house events which this year took the format of a knock-out tournament, writes Lesley Cranston.
In the ladies, Jackie Ensall and Di Kendall-Torry lost the first set to Marlene Maynard and Gill Dolling 6-4, but went on to take the second 6-1.
They then claimed a thoroughly convincing 10-3 championship tie-break.
Maynard and Ensall, who know each other’s game well, played steady cross court rallys making it difficult for Dolling and Kendall-Torry to have an influence, but, as the score reflects, Kendall-Torry’s A team experience showed through and her net interceptions proved decisive in giving her team the edge.
Well done, to all four in providing a worthy final.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Heywood and Jake Harrison won the men’s doubles last Friday night defeating Ben Elliott and Grant Whillance 6-1, 7-5.
It was another commendable performance with experience and youth combining to good effect to take the honours and deprive coach Ben Elliott of another title after he was part of the winning mixed doubles pairing.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 8 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend